9.11.2008

It's 9/11 Where were you?

Senior year of high school. I remember the morning being balmy, as the sun beated down on me as I walked from one campus building to the other in order to take our senior class picture. All 728 of us seated in the gymnasium. Sweet. I didn't have to sit through another English class with whats-his-name. He never remember my last name either, so we're even. I just had to go to Psychology class and then I was done for the day. Yay for early release!

By the time I reached psych. class the first plane had just hit the North Building. The words, "holy shit" unconsciously flew out of my mouth. We sat there stunned, in silence.

When I arrived home the North Building had just collapsed. "What do you mean it just collapsed?" I asked my mom who was sitting on the couch with my sister scrutinizing the television screen. For the rest of the day our eyes were glued to Aaron Brown as he reported every detail of September 11, 2001. For the weeks to come we listened to the eerie sound of silence as no planes flew over my parent's house.

The hours seemed like minutes, and yet the minutes have become seven years. Can you believe that? Seven years have gone by. Seven years since we entered the war with Iraq and I don't think the mourning process ceases to being close to over with our country. On the other hand, I was flabbergasted as I flipped through the channels this evening and saw next to nothing about this tragic event. Is it already a hush-hush ordeal? The next day we got word that our music director of our church had been killed. He was definitely an inspiration to us all.

This morning at work we didn't have our usual meeting. No papers were handed out about our LY numbers or our STD/WTD compared to other stores. "Remember how important today is." That's what they told us. I wish every meeting could be like that.

This is a day in our history that we are able to tell our children and our children's children what we were doing just like our grandmothers tell us where they were when Pearl Harbor was attacked or when Kennedy was shot. "Grocery shopping," is what mine says. It's good to remember.

No comments: