11.10.2009

Pop Goes the Belly

Being pregnant has brought so many realizations to me that I would'nt have thought about if I did not have another human being to take care of. The planning process is one of the most scrutinizing parts of the entire thing. Money, maternity leave, and how to tell the boss can be very overwhelming.


I wanted to create this entry a while ago, however, due to the overwhelming exhuastion that comes with pregnancy, I am just getting to it now. Better late than never right? Here's a little layout of what I have discovered over the past 18 weeks.

Week 1 & 2: You're not actually pregnant yet. You're body is in the prep period, therefore this is around the time you are able to successfully concieve. Ergo, when people say pregnancy is nine months long, they're wrong.


Week 4: I skipped to week four because this was when we had a positive test result. Heartburn city starts to form as well. Unfortunately, at this early in the stage, you can not take anything to heal the pain. Our baby is just a group of beautiful cells trying to make a place in the womb.

Week 5-7: If I said I was exhausted, I think that would be a complete understatement. There are no words to describe how incrediably whiped out you are at any given time of the day. I was lucky if I made it to bed at 6.30pm. Around this time we were able to hear our babies heart beat. The first beats were at a healthy 176bpm. Doctors say anything over 100 is considered healthy. The old waves tale says if it's over 140bpm then it's a girl.

Week 8: My morning, noon and night sickness was established. I say it like that because it was constant, unpredictable and absolutely miserable. I couldn't go into a grocery and not vomit from the invisible smells non-pregnant people smell. My sense of smell was the typical nose of a blood hound on a mission. During this time my baby formed webbed fingers and toes, and his/her eyelids practically covered their eyes. This is also the time we joked about our baby having a tail, that later forms the tail bone, which is very cool to see on an ultrasound.

Week 9: I started to show early. We attended a wedding at this week, and I was able to wear my first maternity dress. People think that when you are pregnant, you can eat whatever you want. You can't. You're only suppose to have 300 extra calories (depending on your normal weight) and to stay away from certain foods as well. So when attending events, be aware of what type of food will be prepared, if you can keep food down at all. During this time, the baby is the size of a grape and is forming tiny teeth, as well as different organs, muscles and nerves.

Weeks 10: This is the time I told my boss, who was over the hill estatic about the news. Since they were planning construction in our building, I wanted them to be aware of my condition. Normally, this doesn't happen until the second trimester. I remember still being tired and nauseas. Our baby actually looked like a baby in the ultrasound pictures, as it only weighed the amount of a quarter. Although I could't feel any movement during this time, the baby was very active.

Week 11: I remembered eating more foods during this time. Ice cream was not one of them. Anything "creamy" for that matter just didn't do well. It's fascinating how strong your food aversions are during pregnancy. At 11 weeks, our baby was busy doing water ballet as it formed tooth buds and bone structure.

Week 12: They say to always consult with your OB before traveling on a plane when your pregnant especially during the 1st trimester. I went to Florida during this week and did fine. During my time there, my baby developed reflexes as it's toes began to curl, and learned how to open and close its hands.

Week 13: 80% of pregnancy don't have sporadic spotting or bleeding. I was that 20% that did, which was scary. The doctor later concured that it was a tear near the membrane of the sak of the baby. No harm to the baby, however bedrest was the only cure. This is usually the time when people start making their official announcement. After you reach "lucky 13" without any serious problems, you're pretty much ok. My nausea turned off like a light switch which was great, however my bladder felt like it reduced drastically in size. I also had my monthly OB appointment, which they changed my due date from the initial April 6th to April 8th. Our baby formed its owned fingerprints and skin.

Week 14 = Second Trimester: I made it! A burst of energy, and a sigh of relief. The second trimester is treating me extremely well and for a moment I actually forgot I was pregnant! This is also the time people actually saw that I was pregnant and not just packing on a few lbs in the stomache area. The akward transitional phase of those size 4 pants to the elastic waste is prominant. During this week, it was interesting to find out that the baby forms a bladder and actaully pees inside me. Not only that, it can also squint grimace and frown. I remember looking at the ultrasound during this time and watching the baby actually suck it's own thumb.

Week 15: Since nausea and exhaustion are not a huge problem anymore, although I still have some food aversions, I noticed my appetite slowly increasing. People don't realize that yes, pregnant women due eat more, however it's in sporadic batches. I strive to eat five to six small meals a day. During this week, my baby was busy moving amniotic fluid through its nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in their lungs. Its legs are growing longer than their arms now, and he/she can move all of her joints and limbs. How cute! I also remember sitting in a meeting at work and feeling it move. It's almost like a popcorn affect, and very startling for the first time.

Week 16: This was a big week for us because not only did we find out the gender, but it was on my birthday! The ultrasound technician believed it would be a boy. The Boy-Girl party was a big hit and the cake was absolutely delish. I also had my monthly appointment with my OB and only gained 5 lbs throughout the last month! That still blows my mind. He also changed my due date once again from April 8th to April 4th. Happy Easter to us. A growth spirt happens during this time and I definately felt it. The baby is moving more, although he's not offically "kicking" me, I feel him squirming around.

Week 17: The Laigaments in my adomen are rapidly expanding, and I definately feel them. I'm noticing that I need to walk in increments. My feet are started to get swollen when I stand or walk for long periods. During this period the baby's skelelton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord, the lifeline to the placenta is growing stronger and thicker.

Week 18 = 5 months: I've been telling myself that I would start a regular excerise routine soon since I have more energy than before. It's beginning to become more uncomfortable when I cross my legs as the baby expands all throughout. Word to the wise: when a pregnant girl says she needs to use the restroom, she needs to go. Don't hold her back or else you'll probably be the one cleaning up the aftermath. During all this, the baby's blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born.

People think that pregnancy is actually 36 weeks. It's technically 40. So we're almost half way through.

No comments: