2.04.2010

The Final Stretch

So we're in the final stretch as the baby is due to arrive in 8 short weeks. Here's another look back to how he has grown...

19 Weeks: This week is all about brain development. I started taking a fish oil supplement along with my pre-natal vitamin during this time. It's so interesting to know that my baby is developing key sensory organs such as taste, touch, sight, and smell just like all of us. He currently weighs 8.5 oz and is 6 inches long. Still, very tiny.

20 Weeks = Halfway = 5 Months: We made it. We're half way there. We now start measuring head to toe instead of head to rump. Although he's only the size of a banana, weighing in at 10.5 oz, he's swallowing more frequently and building a stronger digestive system. This is when the doctor told me to expect to gain a pound a week. How exciting!

21 Weeks: Those early flutters I used to feel have turned into full blown karate kicks. We soon got to know each other's sleep schedules with the frequent activity. I remember feeling really good during this point in the 2nd trimester. I Almost forgot I was pregnant, until he kicked me. During this time, he weight about 3/4 of a pound and 10.5 in long.

22 Weeks: He's finally 1lb and looking more and more like a normal newborn as his eyes, eyebrows and lips are rapidly developing. He's also developing gums for his future teeth. Something that we wouldn't think to imagine could form in the womb.

23 Weeks: Studies have shown that 30 minutes a day of listening to classical music will enhance a baby's cognitive development. This is the time to start this phenomenon. During this week he is finally able to hear and feel me move, sway or dance. He feels my emotions and knows my voice. I believe it's so important to talk to him and let him know who I am. He's beginning to become a big boy weighing in at over a pound and measuring 11 inches long.

24 Weeks = 6 Months: Even though he's only measuring the size of an ear of the cob, he's beginning to fill out proportionally as brain development is still in the works as well as taste buds, and the branches of his lungs form his respiratory system.

25 Weeks: The wrinkled skin he used to have is becoming smoother and looking more like a newborn's skin. He started to hiccup at this point which became a tinkling sensation to me. One thing I did start to notice during this stage in the pregnancy was how thick and luscious my hair became because of new hormones. One of the highlights in pregnancy! Our baby boy is continuing to grow as he weighs 1.5lbs and measure 13.5 in long.

26 Weeks: At this week, nerve development is forming as well as enhanced hearing. Two important factors for a newborn. My favorite line is, "baby has ears," if someone was using profanity or vulgar language. I feel so protective of him and not want to corrupt him at such a young age. Biblically, we as parents are key components and held responsible for our baby's upbringing. During this week he'll grow to about 14 inches long.

27 Weeks = 7 months: This is the last week in the 2nd trimester, which has treated me very well. We started our Childbirth Education Classes that we'll continue to go to for the next six weeks. I felt as though I know my baby's schedule by now. When he sleeps, when he wakes, and his most active time of the day. Traveling was harsh as I felt as though I grew very large overnight. Being able to pre-board while flying to Florida was a treat. During this week brian development is almost completed and if needed to preform an emergency c-section, his lungs would be able to work on their own- with a lot of medical help. Fortunately this isn't the case. He's weighing in at just 2 lbs and measuring about 14.5 inches long.

28 Weeks: This is the first week of the last trimester. I was tested to the gestational diabetes test, which I passed. It's a great feeling to know that we're in the final stretch of the pregnancy. Preparations are now starting to begin as our monthly doctor visits have turned into bi-weekly visits and I'm expected to gain another 11 lbs. This week is all about eyes. Blinking, and knowing the difference between lightness and darkness through the womb. Billions of neurons are also developing in the brain for the real world activity. He's growing steadily weighing in at 2.25lbs and 14.8 inches long.

29 Weeks: I bravely ventured off to Florida during this week for my baby shower. I could definitely tell the difference from when we flew just 3 weeks prior for Christmas to how much I've grown. Unfortunately, no more long trips for me until he's born. During this time he's measuring the size of a butternut squash at 15 inches long and 2.5 lbs. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and an increase of vitamin C and calcium is recommended for me to ensure strong bones when he's born. He became very active at this point as we continued to speak to him.

30 Weeks: The nursery is looking more like a nursery these days as we rearrange our storage space to make room for the crib and dresser. We also took a visit through the labor and delivery room of the hospital. This eased my anxiety a few notches. My co-workers also gave me a surprise baby shower so we have even more essential necessities such as wipes, clothes and blankets. Braxton Hicks contractions have occurred, which are very uncomfortable. During this week it's interesting to find out why babies close their eyes so frequently when they're newborns. Their vision is a merely a 20/400. Weighing in at a hefty 3lbs and measuring 15.7 inches long, he's growing at a very healthy rate.

31 Weeks = 8 months: This is the time preparations are happening at work as well as home. Meetings with HR about my leave and training a new person for my job has made me realize that everything is becoming all too surreal. Starting to pack a little at a time has made Jim realize the time is approaching us very shortly. Since it's winter time, my main goal isn't to slip or fall on black ice, and I have accomplished this quite well. It has also become increasing difficult to put on snow boots and move as fast as I used to. I try to walk a mile a day because walking reduces labor pains and exercise doesn't hurt anyone. Ironically, he's going to be heading into a huge growth spurt in the next few weeks. He can also turn his head, open and close his hands and eyes on his own and does an excellent job resting on my blatter. He's developing more fat as well. Weighing in at 3.3 lbs and measuring 16 inches long, I don't know how much bigger I can get without having difficulty breathing.

No comments: