9.12.2007

The Aftermath of 9/11

I won't disagree with anyone that says September 11th was a horrible day 6 years ago, however, September 12th is more tragic for me. You see, 6 years ago, because of 9/11, one of the dearest, selfless, loved people you'll ever meet tragically died.

He was our music minister at the church I grew up in. The scenario was Craig's wife's father was having surgery in North Carolina during the attacks. Because airlines were closed, Craig decided to drive both of them to North Carolina. It was rainy. It was slippery. All of a sudden a semi hit the driver's side of their car, and Craig died immediately. You always know when something is wrong when you're mom gets a phone call, answers it, and suddenly drops the phone and starts crying instantaneously.

Having my mom sit me down on the couch and telling me the news you realize you don't know when you're time is up. It might be a scary thought, but think about it. Who wants to live here- hell on earth when they can live eternally without any worries about finances, relationships, images, or reputations with God. I truly believe God takes us when we're ready. We might not seem, or feel ready, but to him we are. The week before my grandfather passed away in 1992, all he could talk about was how lovely it was going to be to live in heaven. A week later is was gone, still very much loved and not forgotten.

Six years later Craig is still remembered as a person who loved God, and lived for him. He gave wisdom to share the word of God all around. He was such a great example to live by because of his devotion for God. September 12th Craig got his 1st row seat in heaven.

The funeral was memorable. Even though I cried through the whole thing, I knew I was so happy for him. At the end, we watched a clip of him singing Old Rugged Cross. I still get goosebumps from reminiscing about it.

So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

No comments: