5.09.2008

My First MRI

I will confess that I was a MRI virgin up until this morning. I would describe it as more uncomfortable than painful. Besides the injection in my arm, which was a little painful, everything else in the process was just down right uncomfortable.

Before any of the action started I was prescribed Valium in order to relax during the procedure. The assistant explained the step by step process to me as she handed me my hospital gown and robe. They would be taking eight pictures, six with the injection from my arm, two without.

I was told to lay on the MRI bed as the male nurse and assistant handed me a pillow for my head and my feet. They padded my sides with cushion and made sure my ear plugs were snug inside me.

The helmet came on and they slid me into the screening section. The noises were excruciating which made me really uncomfortable because I don't like loud noises to begin with. I don't even like the television volume to exceed the limit of five.

The whole procedure took about forty-five minutes to complete. The male nurse gave me my copy of the X-Rays to give to my neurologist during my follow up session with him. I should hear about the results by Tuesday at the latest.

So that was a snitch. I was scared. I still am. I'm more scared now to hear what the results are. Even if my doctor does find something to be a little disturbing and tells me to do another MRI I think I'll be more calm about it, (hopefully this won't happen). After all, you always remember your first.

No comments: